2.21.2011

Family Vacation

This weekend we went away. And by away, I mean a 9 hour drive, each way, with a toddler in tow.

Oh yeah, nothing like vacation to escape real life tantrums and crying jags! :)

So, beyond that little hiccup, we had a good, albeit short, (very short) time.
We went to see my family, which, although full of love, they somehow overwhelm me each time I see them.
Perhaps it's because I seem to have been the only one from my family of beach-loving, gregarious, activity-loving beings that would rather be in the mountains, be quiet most of the time, and take it slowly. Or perhaps it's because I don't talk too much, some days I just don't know.

Anyways,you can see how this would make for an interesting family dynamic.

But, all that being said, we had a really good time. A really good time, which was lovely, and to be quite honest, suprising. I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting I would have to be on my best behavior and bite my tongue.
But none of that happened. NONE of it! And even my lovely sister, who I love more than life, but annoys me more than anyone I know, didn't annoy me...didn't even phase me.

It was nothing but love...nothing but love this weekend.

And, so, it got me to thinking...isn't it always nothing but love? All the times I've been annoyed or embarrassed or full of long, exhausted sighs about my family, isn't it still love?
Although it never quite comes in the perfectly wrapped box I would like it to be in, it is still love. It is still love when my mother asks me about 30 questions whenever I arrive in her presence, then tries to shove food in my face. It is still love when my sister (younger, mind you) still questions my life's choices, it is still love when my child lets me know exactly how she feels about riding in the car for long periods of time.

It's all love-the overbearing, the protecting, the strange, STRANGE ways our family shows that they care....this weekend I learned that, and that it's just up to me to translate properly :)

1 comment:

  1. But is this something you consider everyday? Is it something we should consider everyday? That most actions done by those that truly love us are done with the intent of helping even though they may seem at odds or wrong.

    ReplyDelete