6.20.2010

reaching out

Lately at church we have been talking about reaching out to the community.
Giving back. Getting missions up and running again.
Being a church that 'does stuff' instead of a church that, like so many, just 'says stuff'.

A church that gets dirty in the mission field.
A church that feeds the hungry.
A church that helps the homeless.
A church that is an example of Christ's love.

With all the reaching out, I have to wonder, are we reaching too far?

Last week after church I saw one of our church members, a fairly regular member, leave via bus.
And while that's not headline worthy, I wondered about this;could no one take her home?
Offer her a ride? Did anyone else notice that she was waiting on a ride?

With all this reaching out into the community, have we forgotten to reach out to each other?

It's one thing if she wanted to leave by bus.

But in my opinion, it's quite another if she left by bus because no one offered her a ride or even noticed the fact that she was still hanging around, waiting on a ride an hour after the service had ended.

If I have my way, by next week she won't be riding the bus alone anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment